The Foundation’s Grants Program
Contributions and fundraising activities enable the Foundation to make grants to provide support to the current students at South High. The grant money given to the school is for quite specific purposes and is intended to supplement the funding received from other sources such as the school district or the state. The grant support falls into three broad categories:
- support services,
- fine arts,
- extracurricular, and
Support services included, for instance, Mac Book computers for the language learning lab. Support for athletics included money for additional coaches. Fine arts support included funds for the theater department. Extracurricular support included money for Project Success. And academic support included money for the All Nations Program Cultural Exploration.
Coming soon - a video featuring students and/or staff who have benefited from a grant!
From 2006 through 2014, the total grants given rose from $45,000 to $122,000. In 2013-2014, for example, the distribution of grant money looked like this:
For a more detailed list of grants for the 2013-14 school year, click on the link for the 2014 Annual Report and go to page 6.
- The requester at the school initiates the request for funding by submitting a grant request form. Click here to download a grant request form. Note that depending on your browser and option settings, you may not be able to fill in it within the browser - you may have to execute another step to download it.
- Fill it in on your computer, print it, sign it, and date it. Note that most of the fields are required.
- The request must then be sent to the South High School Principal (or the Athletic Director and then the Principal).
- If the Principal finds the request appropriate, he or she will in turn forward it to the Foundation's Grants Committee for initial consideration using an established set of criteria.
- If the Committee approves the request using its existing guidelines, it is forwarded to the Board for review and a decision.
- If the Board approves the grant request, it allocates (but does not issue) the funds.
Finally, the requester must follow through by submitting appropriate receipts for any expenditures - this triggers the release of the allocated funds. At the completion of the project the requester must also submit a final report to the Foundation. This is to help the Board understand whether the intended results were achieved.
The Mission of the Friends of South High Foundation: provide financial assistance and support for programs at South High School that directly enhance the students’ overall high school experience by enriching their academic, cultural and extracurricular experience; and to support and enhance their ability to further their education.