How to Request a Grant from the Foundation
To request a grant from the Foundation there are three steps.
- Print out and complete a Grant Application. Click here to download the application form. Please answer all the questions and be sure to include details on the budget for your project.
- Sign the application and make a copy for yourself.
- Bring the signed application to the South High Principal for review. If the Principal thinks the project is appropriate, she/he will sign it and send it to the Foundation. Check with the School Secretary to confirm the grant application was signed and sent to the Foundation.
Please note: The signed and completed grant application must reach the Foundation by the 15th of the month to be considered at the next Grants Committee Meeting. The Committee meets on the second Tuesday of each month during the school year. For example, a signed grant application received on September 13 will be reviewed at the October meeting. A signed application received on September 17 will be reviewed at the November committee meeting.
Tips for a grant application
- Be specific in stating the goals, the number of student participating, and explaining how you will measure the impact of the project.
- Tell the story – briefly explain why this project is important to you and how it will help students.
- Include a budget and details. Show the total cost of the project and the amount you want the Foundation grant to cover. If you are asking for funds from another source name the source and the amount. Lack of budget detail is the most common reason for delay or a decision not to fund a grant application.
- Apply early for two reasons.
- The Foundation does not cover expenses that were made before the grant was approved.
- Grant funds are limited. When the grants budget is expended there are no additional grants approved for the fiscal year.
- Talk to the principal. The grant application must be signed by the principal to be considered.
Grants Committee Review
The Foundation’s Grants Committee will review the application and determine whether to fund the project. The committee may ask for additional information. If you would like to make a presentation to the committee about the project, please contact the Foundation office to make arrangements. Presentations are brief and limited to 10 minutes.
You will be notified by email about the committee’s decision approximately one week after the committee meeting, around the third Wednesday of the month. The committee may fund your request in full, provide partial funding or decline to fund the project.
If the project is funded you will receive additional instructions and information. Please read and follow those instructions.
The Mission of the Friends of South High Foundation: provide financial assistance and support for programs at South High School that directly enhance the students’ overall high school experience by enriching their academic, cultural and extracurricular experience; and to support and enhance their ability to further their education.